DNA Quantification Problems

Bill_A_Nussbaumer at ms.bd.com Bill_A_Nussbaumer at ms.bd.com
Thu Nov 18 15:58:48 EST 1999

Bill A Nussbaumer at BDX
11/18/99 03:41 PM

My best guess is that you have contaminating organics left over from your
precipitation.  Make sure you let the ethanol completely evaporate before
resuspending.

Hope that helps you,

Bill Nussbaumer

Hi!

I make DNA Extractions from rat brain tissue using a genomic DNA isolation
kit ("Wizard") from the company Promega. However, the spectrophotometric
measurements of the 260nm and the 280nm seem to be OK but the value of 230nm
(salts?) is much higher than the OD 260, so that I fear that the Value for
the OD 260 is not correct. I have tied some procedures to wash the salts
away (washing the DNA Pellet, after DNA precipitation with isopropanol, with
70% ethanol, but without success. Now I am thinking about filtration or
dialysis.
Could somebody help me to get rid of the Salts (or whatever the OD 230
contamination could be) to decrease the OD at 230nm, so that I can measure
correct DNA values at 260nm ?

Thank You in advance!

~Murat