Drug-induced necrosis

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Sat Nov 20 22:11:43 EST 1999

In article <383780C0.C63DD8 at home.com>, Menoret  <menoret at home.com> wrote:
>Well, I think you are probably right. For me necrosis without any trace
>of apoptosis has to be a violent phenomenon, like immediate tissue
>destruction. Most of the so-called necrosis observed in vivo looks like
>different kind of post apoptotic cell death. What is your definition of
>necrosis ? Are you talking of a cell or of a tissue ?

We're definitely talking about cells, as in cultured cells.  The
definition of necrosis (if there is one) seems to be a negative one--cell
death that isn't apoptosis.  Of course, apoptosis used to be defined as
cell death that isn't necrosis, but I think the concept of apoptosis is
more based on molecular events now.

I don't really know what necrosis is at the single-cell level.  I think
of things like reactive oxygen species or anoxia, for most cells, leading
to a violent cell death, but one that takes several hours to occur--not as
simple as being torn from limb to limb.  The lack of a good definition is
probably one of the problems we're facing in this question.

Ian