human fetal tissue

Soenke Behrends behrends at plexus.uke.uni-hamburg.de
Mon Nov 22 17:09:51 EST 1999

Dear netters,

I was just interested to know how for example a
company like Clontech gets fetal human kidney
and a lot of other fetal tissues for their Marathon
cDNAs or cDNA libraries. Is the use of tissue
from abortions banned in the US? I think it is
banned in Germany. But I am not sure.
 I know this is a very sensitive
topic and I know there should be clear line which
we as researchers should not cross. On the other
hand I would be most interested in an open practical
discussion on the topic of human fetal tissue procurement
and its ethical and legal implications.

I would be happy if you could share your knowledge
about the legal situation and I would be interested in
any expressed opinion or experience.

Thanks

Soenke Behrends