Gel filtration vs gradient

Kresten kresten at
Fri Nov 26 03:35:28 EST 1999

In article <383D4A53.373A6085 at>,
  Pierre Rodrigues <pirod at> wrote:
> Hello,
> We are trying to look at oligomers of an integral protein. We compared
> gel filtration (by HPLC) to sucrose gradients and obtained opposite
> results: in HPLC, most of the protein was eluted on a 300-400 kDa
> range
> whereas gradient elution was around monomer size!

What about protein concentrations in the two experiments. Were they
comparable. Also salt, pH etc. should be the same as these parameters
all can influence on oligomerisation.

> As our protein is an integral membrane protein and has 2/3 of its
> lenght
> hydrophobic, could there be lipids still interacting with it and make
> it
> float on gradients?
> We did this experiments on Triton x-100 and CHAPS and did a 100000xg
> clarification before.
> If anyone has some explanations (even partial!) it would be great...
> Thanks
> Pierre Rodrigues
> Institut Pasteur

The address kresten at is for
spambots only. Please mail me at LysLeuLeu at
transforming the pre at -part into my initials.
Kresten Lindorff Larsen, Dept. Yeast Genetics

Sent via
Before you buy.