RNAse Problems

Rob Kirkpatrick kirkpat at cc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Oct 5 13:02:15 EST 1999

Does anyone know the common cause(s) of inhibition of RNAse in DNA
preps?  The DNA was prepared from Concert columns and repeatedly fails
to digest with RNAse.  The RNAse batch works on other samples but not
this one.  I also seem to have some problem with loading this DNA on a
gel to check it - it wants to float up and out of the wells.  I don't
know if the problems are related or not.  I've considered the presence
of residual ethanol as a problem but haven't come to a conclusion on
that yet.  The DNA sample is about 1.5 mg/ml and the RNA band is easily
visible but quite faint in comparison to the DNA.  I think that is about
all the info I have.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob