EDTA precipitation

V.S. Gautam gautam at mcbl.iisc.ernet.in
Tue Oct 5 23:36:11 EST 1999

I don't understand why such HOOLA-BOOLA about EDTA precipitation.
In my life time, I have been in science for 18 years now, and never did
EDTA precipitate. Neither did it happen with anyone I know of (of the 80
or so Ph.D. students in our dept). And we use local stuff, not SIGMA or
any such high grade EDTA.

The best solution if anyone of you out there has EDTA precipitating, just
warm it again and it will re-dissolve.

Best of luck all of you......

Gautam
Indian Institute of Science,
   Judge a person by his questions, not his answers.
On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Stephen Dahl wrote:

> "R. Jayakumar" <jakku at mrna.tn.nic.in> wrote in message
> news:00c101bf0f5d$fbb3c120$8c01a8c0 at tn.nic.in...
> >
> > that's a nice idea.. the craziest I have ever heard.  I am sure filtering
> > off any undissolved EDTA is going to reduce the molarity rather than doing
> > anything else.  EDTA always disolved in ph 8.0 and above.  If it is
> > precipitating, it is only because of four reasons,  1) the pH is below
> 8.0,
> > 2) the temp is low 3) the damn pH meter is hoodwinking you and 4)It is not
> > EDTA, maybe soappowder.:-)
>

> Not so fast nitro...
>
> If the problem is due to low temperature, filtering after dissolving (and
> prior to autoclaving) may remove lint, dirt and silica particles that help
> serve as nucleation centers for precipitating out.
>
> regards,
> Steve Dahl
> Dept. of Medicine/Renal
> Johns Hopkins University