Visualising Fluorescein labelled DNA

C Coward cc122 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 6 09:45:10 EST 1999

Greetings,

I am looking for methods for visualising DNA that has been precipitated
onto particles approx. 1 micrometer in diameter. I invisage using nanogram
quantities of DNA. I have access to a fluorescence microscope suitable for
use with Fluorescein. I am considering (incorporation) labelling some DNA
and attempting to visualise it through the microscope.

The question: what sort of mass of DNA would I expect to be able to
observe? I have no experience with fluorescent labelling of DNA techniqes
(such as FISH and what have you).

If anyone out there has any other suggestions for visualising DNA
associated with microparticles I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Chris