EGTA

Mark Dowton Mark_Dowton at uow.edu.au
Thu Oct 7 21:27:02 EST 1999

To be pedantic, both complex divalent ions generally, just with different
binding constants.  EGTA complexes Ca++ better than EDTA, but if you only
have a solution with Mg++ and EGTA in it, the EGTA will still complex the
Mg++ (it will leave a small, but larger concentration of Mg++ free in
solution, moreso than an equimolar concentration of EDTA).  You can
calculate the free concentration of any divalent ion from the binding
constants.  That said, if you want to get rid of Ca++, as others have
noted, you should use EGTA, while Mg++ or Mn++ are better removed with
EDTA.