RNase Inhibition

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 8 03:27:10 EST 1999

In article <37FD031B.2EE7 at ma.ultranet.com>, Mark and Alex
<markalex at ma.ultranet.com> writes
>I am working on a project that involves automated detection of RNA from
>lysed bacteria.  I am worried about degradation of the RNA through RNase
>hanging out in the steel pipettes and plastic tubing of the instrument.
>Does anyone know if there is a simple, chemical way to inhibit RNase?  I
>need something that is inexpensive enough to add to all of my wash
>buffers, etc. on the instrument.

DEPC. I've seen it used in a lysis buffer to isolate intact RNA from
some Fusobacteria that were stuffed full of RNases. Of course it also
depends on what you are doing with the RNA after you have it. The DEPC
may interfere with something later and it is quite nasty.

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark
DNAmp Ltd.