protamine sulfate for transfection?

Wolfgang Schechinger Wolfgang.Schechinger at
Mon Oct 11 06:41:30 EST 1999

Hi all,

Just had the idea that protamine (if I'm right, it's a mix of
proteins rich in Arg, Lys and His and clinically used as a heparin
antidote) might be useful as transfection reagent or enhancer for
A PubMed search for protamine and transfection in titels yielded one
recent hit ( )and a few
papers at least 10 years old(!).

It seems very logically that protamine might be a very good reagent,
for this purpose since it probably happily complexes the negative
charges from DNA.
So why has it come to oblivion or it *this* what we are
paying for these high prices?!!

All ideas, reports etc are highly appreciated for discussion. Please
post directly to the group.

usual disclaimers apply
Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger
Pathobiochemistry Dept.