protamine sulfate for transfection?

Wolfgang Schechinger Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Oct 11 06:41:30 EST 1999

Hi all,

Just had the idea that protamine (if I'm right, it's a mix of
proteins rich in Arg, Lys and His and clinically used as a heparin
antidote) might be useful as transfection reagent or enhancer for
transfections.
A PubMed search for protamine and transfection in titels yielded one
recent hit ( http://JB.bcasj.or.jp/125-6/6evbsqtx.htm )and a few
papers at least 10 years old(!).

It seems very logically that protamine might be a very good reagent,
for this purpose since it probably happily complexes the negative
charges from DNA.
So why has it come to oblivion or it *this* what we are
paying for these high prices?!!

All ideas, reports etc are highly appreciated for discussion. Please
post directly to the group.

Cheers,

Wolfgang

-----