Protein precip. from Guanidine

John Thompson jrt at home.com
Tue Oct 12 20:04:42 EST 1999

Kresten <kresten at my-deja.com> wrote:

>Could anybody please suggest a method for precipitation of protein for
>subsequent SDS-PAGE.
>
>My sample volume is 200 microliters and contains 40 micrograms of (pure
>protein). Furthermore the sample is 6.8M in Guanidine Hydrochloride.

Why precipitate at all. You can probably add 5X sample buffer and load
the sample directly on SDS Page.  If you need to concentrate to I'd
suggest a low mw cutoff spin filter (try Amicon or Millipore) that
will allow you to change the buffer and reduce the volume at the same
time.

Yours,
John Thompson
Merck Research Labs