Predicting protein solubililty?

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at
Fri Oct 15 09:56:34 EST 1999

In article <q2a7u7.i1.ln at>,
  Cornelius Krasel <krasel at> wrote:
> Steffen Graether <steffen at> wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a resource where I can predict the solubility of a
> > peptide in aqueous solution based on its sequence?
> If you mean a peptide that is folded in a random coil, it may be possible.
> For a protein, you would have to know its 3d-structure first, and even
> then it would be a difficult task.
> In my experience, you can get awful surprises even with quite short
> peptides.

Agreed. I was once working with two short peptides (6 or 7-mers, IIRC),
that had the same AA composition (one was a "control"); one was soluble
at neutral pH, and the other wasn't.

| Nick Theodorakis                              |
| nicholas_theodorakis at       |
| (previously theodorn at    |

Sent via
Before you buy.