Qiagen column complaint

Richard P. Grant r_grant at see.sig.for.address
Tue Oct 19 04:54:18 EST 1999

In article <7u8bfn$r4o$1 at fremont.ohsu.edu>, nishir at ohsu.edu (Rae Nishi) wrote:

> Have any of you had this problem (with the columns and
>with customer service) at Qiagen?

I'll declare an interest.  My company makes DNA extraction kits.

Qiagen seem to have a reputation in the field for poor quality of
post-sale customer care.  In their defence, most of the customer
complaints in this field can be solved by taking the user through the
protocol and making sure they understand it - most of the tech calls I've
fielded are from customers who want to use the product in an application
for which it was not designed . . .

However, there is no excuse for treating an obviously qualified scientist
like a moron.

Given the complexity of the Qiagen kits, I would be very surprised if they
did not have an occasional batch problem.  What is surprising, and
extremely worrying, is that their QC does not pick it up.  I think their
reps believe they have the best kits on the market and they never go wrong
- so I'd be tempted to ignore the rep and get hold of a suit who has some

I've been participating in this forum for, oh over 7 years now, and this
problem (with Q products and lack of customer care) crops up with tedious

It beats me how they maintain their market share.  As others have noted,
there are alternatives.

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil     |             rgrant at cmtech.co.uk
work: www.cmtech.co.uk        |      home: www.avnet.co.uk/adastra
           -- 'No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die.' --