DNA binding resins?

KIM dkim at hector.NMSU.Edu
Mon Oct 25 09:39:20 EST 1999

Go to net.bio.net

Check Newsgroups

Go to bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts

Go to FAQ

Paul Hengen, who compiled the FAQ, included a section on making your own
"Geneclean" or "Wizard" prep kits.  The process is very simple, and costs
practically nothing, compared with commercial kits (Yes, I know I am
inviting unwanted kit wars discussion).  For sheer simplicity, I would
recommend purchasing Sigma diatomaceous earth as the binding matrix.  One
grade of DE that is available has already been acid washed (I forget the
cat #, but it says "acid washed" on the label), so you just have to settle
out the lumps from the fines and use it.  Oddly enough, diatomaceous earth
is often settled in a column of water to *discard* fines and keep the
lumps!  I assume the complex internal structure of diatom skeletons
supplies the needed surface area.

Daniel Kim

dav <dav1 at softhome.net> wrote:
: Do you known something DNA binding resins or similar surface to
: better purify an alkaline lysis exctraction? thanks