Urgent:Radiation and mutation..

Rafael Maldonado rmaldonado at ua.es
Tue Oct 26 05:26:25 EST 1999

Wolf wrote:

> Is it possible to have any effects on my glycerol stock from radiation
> such as mutation or whatever possible damage?

I think (not sure) that naked DNA from bacteria are not affected by beta
radiation, on the other hand, DNA in eucaryotic chromosomes it is
sentitive to this radiation.

> Today, I got my glycerol stocks from the freezer and isolated the plasmids.
> Strangely, I could not digest DNA pieces with the enzymes which used to work
> fine.

I wouldn't blame the radiation. If such level of radiation has been
affecting your bacteria, they must be dead: there is no way they can
survive to that frequency of mutation. Also, your plasmid would have
lost its resistance determinant. Just in case, extract yor plasmids and
transform them to a fresh host.

-Rafa Maldonado
University of Alicante (Spain)