DNA Strider for PC

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 05:37:33 EST 1999

In article <38196852.B625F5EB at geisenheim.fa.fh-wiesbaden.de>, Dr. Klaus
Eimert <eimert at geisenheim.fa.fh-wiesbaden.de> writes
>I finally decided to buy a product called CloneMap from CGC Sientific
>(no affiliation, blah blah ...).
>It is kind of combined DNA Strider and MacPlasmap (which they sell, too)
>for Windows. It works quite well, though the plasmid drawing is not as
>comfortable as in MacPlasmap.

We got hold of CloneMap three weeks or so ago.

It draws good maps but has some quirks/minor bugs that we are compiling
a list of for submitting to the authors, such as the Undo command
doesn't work on anything! If anyone is interested or has any to add I
can post our list. We haven't managed to crash it on our Win98 machines
but it does throw up odd floating point error cancellable boxes every so
often.

It is also possibly graphic card sensitive in that some list boxes it
creates like the RE sites box is squashed up on my computer running 1024
x 768 in 32bit with a Matrox Mystique card. On another machine with a
Diamond card (not sure which offhand) running 800 x 600 it is OK. Change
my screen resolution has no effect.

I did report this to CGC but have heard nothing, not even an
acknowledging e-mail.

The program works and the quirks are annoying rather than major bugs
(design features?). As Windows plasmid drawing programs go, for the cost
it is OK.

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark