using UV absorbance scans to 'measure' homogeneity of proteins

David david at
Wed Sep 8 09:07:40 EST 1999

Thank you to everyone for your replies. It is much appreciated.

I'm sorry for not making it clear, but the kind of homogeneity I was
thinking about was with respect to proteins rather than nucleic acids, and
I guess in particular, whether a protein that appears pure on, e.g. a gel
or gel filtration columnm, has higher-order oligomers or aggregates
present. As suggested, good ways to study this include gel filtration and
analytical ultracentrifugation, which we have done for our system, but I
had recently heard the advice that one should always as a first step, look
at the UV280 scan to see if there are aggreagates, which was what prompted
my original question.

Thanks again for the replies.

To reply by email, please remove the 'REMOVE-THIS-BIT' from my email address. Thanks!