cM to kbp

Bas Jansen bas at nospam.nl
Thu Sep 9 16:37:50 EST 1999

In article <19990908182134.15270.qmail at hotmail.com>, ips98 at HOTMAIL.COM
("inderpal singh") wrote:

> Dear All
>      Hi!
>      Could anyone tell me what is the relationship between cM (centimorgan)
> and kbp (kilo base pairs)?

Sure. CentiMorgans (or Morgans for that matter) are derived from
recombination percentages, thus reflecting the distance between two
markers on a DNA molecule, a chromosome for example. The distance in
kbps (or bps for that matter) is simply determined by the number of
basepairs (A, C, G or T, the buildingblocks of DNA) between two markers
on a DNA molecule. One cM equals approximately 1 Mbps (not megabits per
second in our case, but mega basepairs), but I believe one has to take
into account that the more cM the distance between two
markers/genes/whatever is, the less accurate the estimate will be for
the distance in Mbps.

Bas

bjhj at dds.nl