Cesium Chloride precipitation

Edward Mason edmason at UFL.EDU
Fri Sep 10 15:51:31 EST 1999

Got problem! We use cesium chloride for continues gradient in
purification of plasmid DNA. Recently we had cesium chloride
precipitated after ultracentrifugation. Solution we make: dissolve
propanol precipitate in 59.2 mL of TE, add 60.0 g of CsCL plus 3.43 mL
of EtBr (this is for two 1 by 3 1/2 in. tubes) We spin in the
ultracentrafuge using 70Ti rotor 65K overnight. And here you are! We've
got a pellet of CsCl at the bottom of the tube.
We've tried to change the temperature from 15 to 18 C, change rotors
60Ti or 80Ti and speed accordingly.
Can anyone help? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!