Lipids extraction/purification

Wolfgang Schechinger Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Sep 16 09:49:48 EST 1999

Andreas, you could start with extraction methods established by Folch
as well as Bligh and Dyer. All are based on partitioning the lipids
between hydrophilic and hydrophobic (but at least partially)
immiscible solvents like methanol, chloroform, alkanes and t-butanol.

concerning PC and PE you probably will have to use ion exchange
chromatography (TLC/HPTLC/HPLC).

Wolfgang

> From:          andreas.kampkoetter at uni-duesseldorf.de (Andreas Kampkoetter)
> Subject:       Lipids extraction/purification
> Date:          15 Sep 1999 05:35:20 -0700
> To:            methods at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk

> Hi,
>
> I would like to extract lipids from the schistosome parasites. I
> will be grateful if some one could provide me a standarised Lab.
> method. I'm interested in extracting total lipids from the parasites
> and also specific fractions as phosphatidylcholine and/or
> phosphatidylethanolamine... Thank you very much in advance.
-----
usual disclaimers apply
-----
Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger