minigene clarification

Robert M. Mihalek mihalek at FORMULA1.smtp.anes.upmc.edu
Mon Sep 20 15:22:27 EST 1999

In article <37E3B590.4288CD27 at med.unc.edu>
Caroline Szymeczek-Seay <css at med.unc.edu> writes:

> Hello,
> I need to have a term clarified.  I am proposing an expt in which a
> construct, which i am calling a "minigene," is transfected into tissue
> culture cells.  I am more familiar with the term minigene being used
> with respect to transgenic mice.  My construct contains part of the 5'
> flanking region of gene X, all of the exons of gene X, and an epitope
> tag for detection.  (We suspect that the gene is conditionally regulated
> by both 5'flanking sequences as well as intraexonic sequences).  Would
> my calling this construct a minigene be an inaccurate statement?  I need
> to call it something, to distinguish it from reporter constructs and
> endogenous gene X expression.  And I'm interested in hearing what folks
> think about the correct use of the term minigene.  ...And I'm writing a
> grant and don't want to be thought a fool :)

I believe you are using the term correctly. From my experience, if you
connect a cDNA to a promoter and then make transgenic animals
expressing the cDNA, you can safely call that a cDNA minigene, or just
a minigene. If there are introns included, the term minigene may not be
accurate.

You may want to define the term somewhere in your grant, just to be
sure.

please remove the name of the RACE SERIES for e-mail replies
"A government resting on the minority is an aristocracy, not a
Republic,
and could not be safe with a numerical and physical force against it,
without a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace." --
James Madison, The Federalist Papers (No. 46).