water in experiments

CSC un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de
Wed Sep 22 02:27:01 EST 1999

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Marc Andelman wrote:

> Hi folks. I would very much like to know what researchers think of the
> currently available labortory water purification systems.

I have used both, distilled and 'millipore' water (no affilli.).
Distilled: high quality, but you (may) have to pay the energy.
'Millipore': high quality, but the cartridges must be exchanged at least
every three months. This is expensive in Europe. Especially with PCR,
southerns and cellculture I have had problems with Millipore machines with
old filters.
The optimal solution for me was: use once distilled water for washes, tris
buffers, LB etc., but use clinical, twice distilled water bought from a
company for PCRs and southerns. As one liter costs less than $1, it turned
out that we the best quality water at a much cheaper price than
keeping either the millipore or the distiller running !

Kind regards,

Clemens Suter-Crazzolara, PhD

* For HUSAR, W2H & GCG visit:          http://genome.dkfz-heidelberg.de *
* German             German Cancer Research Center DKFZ        European *
* EMBnet             Dept. Molecular Biophysics (H0200)            Data *
* node               INF 280, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany        Resource *
* - Genius -          phone ++49 6221-4223-42 fax -33           - EDR - *