Ethidium Bromide -Vapors!!!

Leman leman at
Thu Sep 23 15:16:57 EST 1999

On 23 Sep 1999 13:14:27 -0700, amherrera at CIGB.EDU.CU ("Antonieta
Herrera") wrote:

> I always melt agorose/TA+Ethidium in a microwave oven. Uhmm a
>lot of steam!! I would like to know how toxic is the emanated
>steam. The oven is outside of the lab air extractor.Is that correct?

I don't know about the EtBr vapor, but I don't see any good reason to
melt agarose with EtBr added. First of all, you greatly increase the
chances of spilling it all over the place in case of overboiling.
Second, you destroy part of EtBr by boiling. And third -- what stops
you from doing it the right way and adding EtBr after agarose cools
down to 55C? This way you can melt your agarose in your kitchen
microwave and not worry about any EtBr toxicity.