What digital camara is good for gel pictures?

Lab 356 se15 at le.ac.uk
Fri Sep 24 10:37:27 EST 1999

I have recently moved to a new lab where there is a Kodak DC120 camera and
software.
The image quality form the camera is excellent....BUT it takes an age to
take a picture/ download it to the computer/ print. You don't mind this if
every picture you take is going to be published but in 99% of cases you just
want something to stick in your lab book .

In my previous lab we had a video camera system (custom built by a company
that's not supplying
anymore). With the video camera, image capture/printing is instantaneous and
the pictures are of publication quality.

With the digital camera you find that that you have to capture /dowload a
few times (in order to get it perfect) as the  camera just takes a snap shot
and you don't know if the exposure is right until you download it. With a
video camera the picture is live so you can adjust focus/exposure in real
time) also with the digital you can't zoom into an area of interest....... I
found the video camera system to be very flexible for this (I also had a
powerful zoom lens for it and used to use it to take "macro" pictures of in
situ hybridisation/antibody stained slides)

If I were going to set up a system from scratch I would choose a video
(rather than still digital) camera and use the software from a company
called Phoretix. I don't think they directly supply the cameras but the last
time I spoke to one of their reps he said they can advise on what hardware
to buy. (I'm sure this would be cheaper than buying a complete package from
a company as these days computers/ storage devices(e.g CD writer or ZIP
drive) are very cheap... All you need extra is the video camera  frame
grabber board and software.

Steve