Guanidinium Thio.-Phelol-Chloroform extraction question

Mark Warner kwar at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 24 12:18:49 EST 1999

   I've used the protocol of Chomczynski & Sacchi to extract rna
successfully. However, I did modify it slightly by including a precip.
w/ LiCl to selectively get the rna. If I save the sup. and precip. w/
ETOH, I seem to be getting dna as well. However, the original protocol
(paper) says that the dna was not detectable as they claimed that the
dna remained in the interphase and phenol phase. Has anyone really
found this to be the case? I would like to use this extraction buffer
to get both rna and dna from my cells. All comments welcome.

Mark