Yellow MOPS - why?

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu
Sun Apr 2 22:07:26 EST 2000

In article <nv8des8j2fu62d5sfrpvtd32s5nggl6plf at 4ax.com>,
John Thompson <jrt at home.com> wrote:
> "Dr. Duncan Clark" <Duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >I am sure there have been publications from Millipore in various
trade
> >papers (Nature Product Review possibly Genetic Engineering News etc.
> >etc.) that showed that Millipore water was RNase free (depending upon
> >which unit you were using of course).
>
> No doubt. But bacterial contamination could creep in somewhere on the
> downstream side. How often do you clean you di water carboys?
>
> John Thompson
> Merck Research Labs

That is exactly why I use "fresh" purified water for RNA.

Also, FWIW, one lab I know found RNase contamination in a bottle of
_DEPC_ water, probably from downstream bacterial contamination during
storage and re-use. They used to make up about 4l of DPEC-treated at a
time and use it for awhile.

Nick

Nick Theodorakis
nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu