Water saturated phenol

Susanne Rohrer srohrer at immv.unizh.ch
Mon Apr 3 03:44:13 EST 2000

"P. Jeffrey Lewis" wrote:

> Hi,
> We are preparing to do some RNA extraction from a Gram positive organism
> and have settled on a protocol that relies on GITC and Bead-based
> disruption.  In the protocol that we are modifying a second extraction
> step utilizes "Neutral Phenol"

If you already have a bead-beater, go ahead and use TriZol. it works really
well. There is a paper in Anal. Biochem. by A.L. Cheung that describes a
method for the Bio101 bead beater. It works great, although he did not like
TriZol; and go on to dissolving the RNA in Formamide instead of water as he

good luck