Primer dimer mystery

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 3 11:47:34 EST 2000

In article <38E8BD44.5D06AA6D at immv.unizh.ch>, Susanne Rohrer
<srohrer at immv.unizh.ch> writes
>> If you use a purified PCR-template every bit of DNA is
>> template - this makes it dificult for the primers to misprime and do their
>> primer dimer stuff.
>
>Thanks, but I know all that. (It's kind of a theoretical question, since I
>got what I wanted)
>
>I thought the formation of primer dimers involves _just _ the primers -
>that's why I couldn't come up with an explanation .

Just what I was going to say! However can you be sure yourself that what
you were getting was primer/primer and not some very short product? The
only real way to tell would be to clone the small product and sequence.
In theory a real Hot Start would cut out the dimers as they should only
form at low Tm's i.e. the time it takes to prepare the PCR to
denaturation.

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark