aberrant activation of 2-component signalling?

"David Alexander dalex at nexus.microimm.mcgill.ca
Mon Apr 3 17:50:19 EST 2000

Hello All,

I'm am looking for reagents which may non-specifically activate
procaryotic 2-component response regulator pairs: in vivo.
Does anyone know if such compounds exist?
I haven't been able to find published reports,
but perhaps there is some anecdotal evidence?

I am wondering about compounds that alter the fluidity
of cell membranes such that there is aberrant conformational changes
and activation of signal kinases, or compounds that non-specifically
phosphorylate response regulator proteins, or ...?.

Published reports suggest that the 2-component systems respond to a
small and specific set of congnate ligands (e.g. a single sugar, amino
acid, etc.).  However, in my limited  experience, biology is much
messier than that and compounds that activate multiple systems
should exist.

Thanks for any clues,

David

dalex at microimm.mcgill.ca