X-gal stain problems

Bernard Murray, PhD spam at 127.0.0.1
Sat Apr 8 22:45:12 EST 2000

In article
<4213FFACFB2CD31198A100805FEA9B4F1667FD at lscserv1.na.lifetech.com>,
KEvans at lifetech.com ("Evans, Krista") wrote:

> Has anyone ever seen problems with eukaryotic cells staining light blue with
> X-gal staining? These control cells have not been transfected and should not
> be expressing bacterial Beta-galactosidase.

Ah, but there are mammalian beta-galactosidase enzymes.  I remember
reading about this enzyme being a marker for ageing in hepatocytes
(but I could be completely wrong).  There may be a way to selectively
look at the bacterial enzyme by tweaking the conditions.
   Bernard

--
Bernard P. Murray, PhD
bpmurray at cgl . ucsf . edu