Searching for a dependency of the maximum gas saturation in

Wolfgang Schechinger Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Apr 13 06:32:33 EST 2000

Hi all,

Just made an interesting observation in the cantina: I was tapping
some quite sweet (saccharose!) containing soda. The glass nearly was
full, then suddenly the CO2 started to come out. Compared that soda,
mineral water behaves completely different; the CO2 escapes during
tapping (and not afterwards, keeping your hands clean).
Seems to be a kinetical behaviour similar to magma.

Cheers,
Wolfgang

> However, as can be learnt from vulcanology, viscosity may affect the
> apparent solubility. Granitic, or high silica magmas are very
> viscous, and have a much higher gas content (4-6%) than basaltic
> magmas which are lower in silica (~1% gas).
>
> This is due largely to the viscosity, and the fact that the viscous
> magmas do not release the gas nearly as readily.
>
> I would assume that the opposite effect can also be noticed, in that
> gases will dissolve slower in a viscous solution, possibly to the
> extent that the same concentration may not be reached in a practical
> time frame.
>
> Cheers,
> Mitchell
>

> "Klemens Raithel" <klemens at biophysik.biologie.uni-mainz.de> wrote in
> message news:38F498A7.B43FBAD5 at biophysik.biologie.uni-mainz.de... >
> > > Uncle Al wrote: > > > Klemens Raithel wrote: > > > > > > I was
> wondering, if there exists a dependency between the maximum > > >
> saturation of a gas (oxygen) and the viscosity of the solution
> caused by > > > a high concentrated cosolvent (e.g. sucrose, 3M). >
> of science? > > > > It's hard to see how thermodynamics depends on
> viscosity rather than > > concentration and identity of the solute.
> A very small concentration > > of high MW polyacrylamide will give
> you a very viscous aqueous > > solution.  It's still mostly water. >
> > Hi Uncle Al, > > I am not searching for a viscous solution mostly
> consisting of water. > I am trying to find a relationship between
> different viscous solutions and > their capacity to solve gas (to
> the maximum saturation). > Does a physical formula or chemical rule
> exist for THIS problem??? > Thanks, > > Klemens Raithel >

-----
This message is encrypted. Use your brain to decode it.
-----
Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger, Dept. of Pathobiochemistry
University of Tuebingen, Germany
email: wolfgang.schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
wwWait: http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/start.htm
-----