expression of transmembrane transporter in E. coli

ChenHA hzhen at
Thu Apr 13 19:32:52 EST 2000

Wolfgang Schechinger wrote:
> Hi all,
> I wonder if I (maybe I should write E. coli) will face problems when
> expressing a translocable eucaryotic passive transporter protein in
> bacteria. Will it insert into E. coli's cell walls and maybe kill the
> poor bug (especially when the transporter's target substance is / is
> not present in the bacterial growth medium / agar plate?)

Working on membrane protein? You have my sympathy. I would
expect problems in expressing membrane proteins in coli (or
indeed any type of cells), although I don't think absence of
target substance would affect the cells (I suspect it might
actually be better - it's generally better for a
heterologous protein not to be actively affecting the
metabolism of the host cell).  If you haven't done so
already, do read the following:

von Heijne, J Mol Biol 1999 Oct 22;293(2):367-7

It's great fun, though I suspect not if you are one of those
working on membrane proteins.  It has lots of useful
references in there though.