ligating single stranded DNA

Don Walthers gene_jockey26 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 24 17:33:25 EST 2000

How efficient is in vivo ligation of ds or ssDNA. In some of our cloning
procedures where we want to shuffle an insert between two backbones we mix
both plasmids, cut with the appropriate enzymes, ligate, then counter-cut
with an enzyme whose site is only present in the original backbone. This
(linearizes) eliminates religation of the original donor clone and ligation
of backbone one to backone two. Both our donor and recipient backbone are
Km-r but the donor is also Ap-r. When we screen Km-r colonies for
Ap-resistance after counter-cutting, they are always Ap-sensitive. So is it
possible that a particular strain is required for in vivo ligation, if it
does occur? We use JM107 for routine cloning.

news:3904808E.719B4DA2 at ucdavis.edu...