mouse tail DNA for Southern blot

alami alami at aecom.yu.edu
Tue Apr 25 15:33:09 EST 2000

Does anybody know how to fix this problem?:
I get pretty good quality DNA from mouse tails (using phenol/cia) to use
for Southen blots.  I digest the DNA in a large volume and then
precipiate it in NaCl/ethanol. When I run the digested DNA for the blot,
it doesn't run in an even smear, but in a shape which is sort of hollow
in the middle and gets narrower toward the bottom of the gel.  Ideas
we've had are that there is too much DNA in the well, too much salt in
the DNA, or SDS in the sample, and we've tried to fix these, but still
haven't gotten the samples to migrate correctly.
thanks.

--
MZ