What's most expensive bio-lab eqpt?

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu
Sun Apr 30 11:40:11 EST 2000

In article <slrn8gnftd.rgv.vjp2 at amanda.dorsai.org>,
vjp2 at dorsai.org (Vasos Panagiotopoulos +1-917-287-8087
Bioengineer-Financier) wrote:
>Whis is typically the most expensive equipment in a biotek lab?
>
>The incubator?
>
>Are they usually leased or bought?
>
>What does it typically cost to start a biotek lab for research
only?

>What equipment is necessary?
>
>(I think I know the answers, but I wanna check myself. Thanks
for replies.)

It depends on what you are doing. My guess would a Gene-chip
array reader, if that is what you are doing.

OTOH, I have heard of small specialized companies that a purify
a couple of restriction enzymes that are run from what is
essentially a garage.

If you wanted to set me up on an island somewhere, and I needed
to buy everything I needed to do my research, including
equipment that would normally be shared, I would guess I would
need at least a couple of hundred thousand dollars of equipment,
not including building construction.

Nick

PS: X A!, Vasos

Nick Theodorakis