DNA & RNA from ... feces ... for PCR

Roland Hubner rhubner at hgins.uia.ac.be
Sun Apr 30 12:37:00 EST 2000

> I believe I have exhaustively tested all known methods (including
> commercial kits).

Hello,

 well, then maybe you didn't left the samples long enough, in order that
the Poinar approach I once mentionned to you works (see below)  ;^)

 What about this one?

 Biotechniques 2000 Feb;28(2):286-90

Best of luck,
 Roland

ps. Poinar et al. -- Science 1998 Jul 17;281(5375):402-6

Molecular coproscopy: dung and diet of the extinct ground sloth
Nothrotheriops shastensis.

"DNA from excrements can be amplified by means of the polymerase chain
reaction. However, this has not been possible with ancient feces.
Cross-links between reducing sugars and amino groups were shown to exist
in a Pleistocene coprolite from Gypsum Cave, Nevada. A chemical agent,
N-phenacylthiazolium bromide, that cleaves such cross-links made it
possible to amplify DNA sequences..."