Actinomycin D

Christopher Cubitt ccubitt at codon.nih.gov
Tue Aug 1 09:08:04 EST 2000

What I have done in the past is use RT-PCR to amplify the pre-mRNA
transcripts from total RNA extracts.  This can be accomplished using a
forward or reverse primer that binds to the pre-mRNA intron sequence and the
other paired primer that binds to another intron or exon.  In this way the
relative transcription rate of the gene can be monitored.  With more effort
this can be made semi-quantitative with standard quantitative RT-PCR
techniques.  Below is a reference to the paper where I used this technique.
In this study I also found that actinomycin D shut down transcription within
30 min after which the degradation of the specific intronless mRNA could be
monitored by standard RT-PCR (a useful control).  Hope this is helpful.

Christopher Cubitt

Differential induction of GRO alpha gene expression in human corneal
epithelial cells and keratocytes exposed to proinflammatory cytokines
Cubitt CL, Lausch RN, Oakes JE
INVESTIGATIVE OPHTHALMOLOGY & VISUAL SCIENCE
38: (6) 1149-1158 MAY 1997

news:8m543e$odp$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...