Plant phenolic compounds and protein prep.

Dr. Peter Gegenheimer PGegen at
Tue Aug 1 12:23:12 EST 2000

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 13:08:08, Byung-Hoon Kim < at>

ð Hello everyone,
ð I wonder if phenolic compounds im Arabidopsis can influence protein
ð structure during the preparation of protein extract.
ð Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Phenolics bind tightly to many proteins (this is the basis for tanning
leather!) and denature them. Phenolics can be sequestered by including PVP
(polyvinylpyrrolidone) or PVPP (??) in the crude extract. There are several
good methods papers on plant extracts that deal with this problem; an older
one is my chapter in Meth Enz 182, 174-193 (1990).

| Dr. Peter Gegenheimer       | Vox: 785-864-3939  FAX: 785-864-5321   |
| Department of               |   PGegen at              |
|   Molecular Biosciences     |       |
| University of Kansas        |"When you have excluded the impossible, |
| 2045 Haworth Hall           |  whatever remains, however improbable, |
| Lawrence  KS  66045-2106    |  must be the truth."      S. Holmes    |