RNA from tuber tissue?

Allison B. MacKay mack__ayab at biology.queensu.ca
Tue Aug 1 16:39:43 EST 2000

Here's _another_ plant RNA question for you all (what
are the odds?):

I work on potato, and I want to purify RNA from tubers.
I've used TRIzol and even with modifications (spinning
down the initial homogenate, precipitating with high-
salt instead of EtOH) I still get essentially no RNA
and a thick pellet of a clear snot-like substance
which I assume is polysaccharides.  Has anyone got a
protocol for isolating RNA from starch-rich tissues
like tuber?  Does potato tuber even _have_ much RNA?
I eagerly await your advice :-)

--
Allison Mackay
Department of Biology