Function of octanol/isoamylalcohol?

Bernard Murray, PhD spam at 127.0.0.1
Tue Aug 1 22:01:59 EST 2000

In article <3986CFF8.736090AA at biocomp.unl.edu>, Chris LaRosa
<clarosa at biocomp.unl.edu> wrote:

> You mean to the phenol??? Isoamyl alcohol changes the density or
> partitioning behavior of the organic phase, so that it centrifuges to
> the bottom of the tube and the aqueous phase remains on the top.
> Otherwise, classic phenol/chloroform partitioning would be a hassle as
> the organic phase would be on top.

Physics must work a little differently in your part of the country.
The density of phenol is about 1.07 so it will always be on the
bottom of a water/phenol mix.  I've heard the isoamyl alcohol usage
explained as an anti-frothing agent and also as something to
inhibit adsorption of material (i.e. nucleic acids) to glass
(from back in the stone age when Corex tubes roamed the earth).

   Bernard

--
Bernard P. Murray, PhD
bpmurray at cgl . ucsf . edu