pcr dna purification for sequencing

Chris LaRosa clarosa at biocomp.unl.edu
Fri Aug 4 12:02:22 EST 2000

> Hello t
> Just my tuppence worth - i use Qiagen PCR purification spin columns (same
> kit as used to extract DNA from agarose gels).
>
> Can also use it for res. enzyme digest clean ups etc.
>
> Seems to work cleaning up pcr products for ABI based chemistry.
>
> Another method used in the past is Chromaspin columns from Clontech - bit
> more cumbersome and yeild can suffer.  Also depends on the size of your pcr
> product.

The lab using ABI chemistries where I worked originally used qiagen spin
columns.  They worked ok, but we found the gibco columns cheaper and
also that they yielded higher and more consistantly .

If you are going the do pcr sequencing , I think the protocols in a
lab. (because of the high cost of the ABI regents , we spend alot of
time in the development fine tuning of the protocols.)