Electrophoresis problem

Paul S. Brookes. brookes at uab.edu
Mon Aug 7 11:19:55 EST 2000

Are you transferring in the cold room?  Its been my experience that the
power packs don't like the cold room too much, especially the "timer" chips
- they run at the wrong clock speed, so best to use a manual timer.  Or,
just incubate the whole transfer tank in a huge ice bath in the room-temp lab.

If your current is too high, your salt strength is probably high
enough.  Try running in the cold room with the ice pack, as the current is
of course temperature sensitive.  I've found that with long high-voltage
transfers (120V+, 4h - its a big protein!), the current steadily rises as
the ice pack melts, then goes down again when you replace the ice pack and
transfer buffer with fresh.

Regards
PSB

Dr. Paul S. Brookes.            (brookes at uab.edu)
UAB Department of Pathology,   G004 Volker Hall
1670 University Blvd., Birmingham AL 35294 USA
Tel (001) 205 934 1915     Fax (001) 205 934 1775
http://peir.path.uab.edu/brookes

The quality of e-mails can go down as well as up