Trp oxidation, what does it take?

Troels Wind wind at biobase.dk
Thu Aug 10 06:47:49 EST 2000

Dear netters,

I'm currently working with a synthetic peptide that contains a disulfide and
a Trp residue. The people who made it have told me that they oxidized the
cysteines into a disulfide with either atmospheric airation at slightly
alkaline pH or with DMSO. My question is if this treatment will be oxidative
enough to damage the Trp as well, i.e make it an oxindolealanine ?

Any information will be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Troels

Troels Wind, Ph.D.
Laboratory of Cellular Protein Science
Department of Molecular and Structural Biology
University of Aarhus
Gustav Wieds Vej 10C
8000 Aarhus C
Denmark

Phone: (+45) 8942 5079
Fax: (+45) 8612 3178
Mobile: (+45) 2856 9767

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and
human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
                                                   -Albert Einstein

---