BNPS-skatole question

Peter Loesh peter_loesh at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 11 11:47:03 EST 2000

Hello !

does anybody have a good experience with BNPS-skatole protein cleavage?  I
would very much like to know if residual BNPS-skatole interferes with
electrophoresis; and if it is possible to combine BNPS skatole and CNBr
reactions in one. (I belive that these reagents react with eachother, but I
am not a chemist).

my problem is that I cannot get rid of BNPS-sk. completely, and part of my
product (radioactive) co-precipitates with it when I add water to dilute
acetic acid. May be it is better not to remove reagent at all, and dry it
all ?

(BTW, BNPS-skatole cleaves proteins at Trp and CNBr at Met residues; I use
them to map the phosphorylation site in my protein)

hope to hear your opinions,

Peter