Reverse transcriptase extra bases?

Eivind Hovig ehovig at radium.uio.no
Mon Aug 14 06:47:03 EST 2000

Is Superscript completely faithful at the end of a transcript, i.e. will
the enzyme add extra bases at the end? I experience 4 extra bases on a
PCR fragment of a size defined by a gene specific 3'transcriptase primer
and a 5' T7 polymerase sequence (as seen on the DNA level). As far as I
can find out, the RNA starts being transcribed from base 1 after the T7
polymerase recognition sequence. Thus, the DNA sequence is well defined,
and that leaves only the superscript to account for the extra bases, as
far as I can understand. Suggestions or pointers to obvious, but missed,
points are appreciated.

Sincerely
Eivind Hovig