random hexamers for cDNA synthesis

brownlie at sask.usask.ca brownlie at sask.usask.ca
Mon Aug 14 19:04:19 EST 2000

I understand that random hexamers are often used to prime first strand
synthesis to produce cDNA and that this method often results in longer
products and more representative libraries than with oligo dT.  However, I
am confused what the theory is behind this as will random hexamers not
result in many truncated products and what stitches these together before
second strand synthesis. I think there is something I have failed to
understand but have not found the answer in text books.

Many thanks for any answers
Robert Brownlie