Great New Cloning Software

Richard P. Grant rgrant at netscape.net
Tue Aug 15 11:09:41 EST 2000

In article <39995939.7ECB29B at biocomp.unl.edu>, Chris LaRosa
<clarosa at biocomp.unl.edu> wrote:

> I would like to propose a change in the usenet policy to allow
> unsolicited advertising, as long as they pertain to molecular biology
> products.

( usenet <> bionet )

I think that is not a good idea.  there are already too many channels
for advertising, and when any of us want something we known where to
look.  These groups will die if advertising is allowed across the board.

> I think many vendors offer very useful solutions and usually
> they know what they are talking about.

*LOL*  Oh boy, you don't have much contact with marketing departments,
do you?

>  It seems to me that there are a
> couple of regular posters who are affiliated with private companies ,
> who post their address with the messages and is this not unsolicited
> advertising??

No, because they're not advertising their product.  They're merely
saying who they work for - and that in a signature at the bottom of a
message containing useful information that was solicited, or in the
organization: at the top.  If I want to follow a link in the .sig I can;
it is unobtrusive and does not detract from the purpose of the forum.

> Nowdays companies new fangled products really do a great
> job... I would not mind seeing the various vendors for say real t ime
> pcr machines promote their products and offer some info on the pros and
> cons of this new technology

Not on these bloody froups.  Just think about what you're saying - what
would happen.  You've heard of spam - do you know why it is a problem?
I do not want to pay for advertising, period.  Maybe bionet.adverts,
then I can choose to look at it if I need to, but that'd be the only
option I would consider.

Richard P. Grant MAD Phil       http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/rpg/
Structural Studies              http://www.scienceboard.net/
MRC-LMB                         Please reply to rpg 'at' mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk