Top Agar Newbie

Michael L. Sullivan mlsulliv at facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 24 14:52:15 EST 2000

Yes!  Use agarOSE instead.  It gels to a much harder consistancy that won't
peel off the plate.  Lots of phage screening protocols actually do say to
use agarOSE, but if you're like me, and have made lots of media in your
lifetime, it's easy to not notice the "ose" part.  I almost made this
mistake when I screened a library a few months ago, but caught myself in
time (although I still have several bottles of top agar-- not agarose--
that'll never get used except maybe to do titering!).  Hope this helps.

Mike

>I have been doing some plaque lifts to screen a library and I have been
>having trouble with the top agar coming off sometimes.
>
>Does anybody have any help hints to avoid this?
>
>Thanks,
>Mike
>

>--
>     /  Michael J. Herron                        /
>    /   U of MN, Medicine/Infectious Diseases   /
>   /    herro001 at umn.edu                       /
>  /     http://128.101.243.213                /

Michael L. Sullivan, Ph.D

U.S. Dairy Forage Research Center