G418 resistance gene

Rosie Redfield rosie.redfield at zoology.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Aug 28 15:03:32 EST 2000

Hi,

I'm trying to develop a transformation system for Chilomonas, a eukaryotic
alga.  The cells are very sensitive to G418, so I'm looking for a vector
with a neo resistance gene under a suitable promoter.

The problem is, we know nothing about Chilomonas promoters.  The slow and
sure approach will be to clone a Chilomonas tubulin gene and construct a
neoR vector using its promoter, but until that's done I'd like to try
transfroming the cells with a neoR gene under a heterologous promoter.  A
plant promoter would be worth a try, though of course an algal promoter, if
one is available, would be even better.

Does anyone know of any vectors where the neoR gene is driven by an algal
or plant promoter?

Thanks very much.

Rosie

  Dr. Rosemary J. Redfield	redfield at interchange.ubc.ca    |  either email
  			rosie.redfield at zoo.ox.ac.uk      |  will work fine.

  On sabbatical until July 2001 at:
           Dept. of  Zoology, University of Oxford, Oxford UK OX1 3PS
           lab phone (0)1865 281306; mobile phone (0)7730 368570

  Associate Professor               Department of Zoology

  Univ. of British Columbia       Office: (604) 822-3744
  Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4         Lab:    (604) 822-6323
  Canada                          Fax:    (604) 822-2416
  WWW site:  http://www.zoology.ubc.ca/~redfield

---