GADPH as cytoplasmic marker

Paul S. Brookes. brookes at uab.edu
Mon Aug 28 17:53:09 EST 2000

I wouldn't be surprised if you found GAPDH in the nuclear
fraction.   Despite the comment  "GAPDH is a glycolytic enzyme; glycolysis
takes place in the cytoplasm", it is a promiscuous protein with a number of
other roles identified in the cell, one of which just happens to be a DNA
repair enzyme.  I also seem to remember it gets translocated to the nucleus
in certain forms of apoptosis.  Check out....

Sirover MA. (1996) Emerging new functions of the glycolytic protein,
glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase, in mammalian cells.  Life Sci.
58(25):2271-7.

Regards
PSB

Dr. Paul S. Brookes.            (brookes at uab.edu)
UAB Department of Pathology,   G004 Volker Hall
1670 University Blvd., Birmingham AL 35294 USA
Tel (001) 205 934 1915     Fax (001) 205 934 1775
http://peir.path.uab.edu/brookes

The quality of e-mails can go down as well as up